When it is oh so cold out there, it is so easy to snuggle under a blanket and watch TV or use a device. This happens to kids, too.
They come home from school and want to play video games or they want to watch the television on weekends. This is not good for health and heart.
- Take walks. Bundle up and take the dog for a walk. If you don’t have a dog just take yourselves for a walk. Walk around the mall.
- Buy a stationary bike and pretend you are bicycling to a faraway location. Put up a map and mark your way to a place like Disney World or the beach. By the time spring comes, your child will have “biked” there.
- Join your local YMCA for basketball and swimming. It’s also a great time for your child to take swimming lessons. Children three and over should have lessons for their own safety, as well as pleasure.
- Take up a winter sport. Try ice skating or skiing. If money is tight buy poles for ski walking. It is a great cardio exercise.
- Visit places with climbing areas, trampolines, and movement areas such as batting cages.
It is so important for children to move away from devices, have conversations, and move their bodies. Now, let’s get going!